Sunday, October 11, 2009

Meet my students!


I’ve been teaching at St. Kizito Primary School for about a month now, and I absolutely love my work! As you can see from these pictures, my students are always smiling, enthusiastic, and ready to work hard at whatever we do each day. I am working as an assistant to the nursery class all day on Mondays because they have about 40 children under 5 years, and none of them speak English other than “How are you?” They are adorable, though, and love to ask the “muzungu” for help. Tuesday through Thursday I work after school with two grade levels each day. The younger children didn’t understand my English at all when I started, but I think we are making progress. I’ve been focusing mainly on English listening skills, vocabulary building games, and other such activities. For the first time, this week I was able to work with the oldest students without another teacher present to translate. My work is not without its challenges - I have about 40 students a day and limited supplies, but their enthusiasm and work ethic make up for the difficulties. Thanks for all your support!


2 comments:

  1. Loving your job makes it almost not like a job...more like a joy! The children are blessed to have you, and you are equally blessed by them. It just doesn't get much better than that. Enjoy it all. Let me know what my class and I can contribute. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and glad you love it!

    ReplyDelete